Sunday, April 14, 2013

Therapy


I was so homesick Saturday that Husband took me to therapy.  Ok, it was really shopping therapy.  Sometimes when a girl is feeling down, a day shopping is the perfect cure!  

We started the day off with a stop at Ikea.  This is the perfect home away from home for us because, if you don't know, Ikea is the same everywhere you go!  No matter what, you can count on the massive yellow and blue concrete box, filled with thousands of other boxes, hustling and bustling with people carrying home their ready to assemble treasures.  The only difference between a German and American Ikea is that beneath the Swedish price tags you will find the descriptions in Deutsch. Hello, Google Translate!
Ikea on a Saturday=Bravery

No trip to Ikea is complete without of course, a stop in their perfectly planned out cafeteria.  A meatball plate is exactly the same an ocean away except for the added horse meat. (Thank goodness they fixed that problem)  There is nothing quite like drowning your homesick blues under a big pile of meatballs and gravy.
"That's a good meatball."

About a month ago I was flipping through a German Instyle magazine.  Inside, I found a glossy ad with a very familiar logo for TKMaxx. Confused as to what happened to the J in TJMaxx, one of my British friends told me that TKMaxx is a clothing chain in England and there is one here in Munich.  Apparently, it is the same company, colors, logo and all, just with a K instead of a J.  My mouth dropped open and I immediately was dumbfounded as to why I had not known about this or more importantly, been there yet!
Feels Like Home!

So after Ikea, my wonderful husband drove me about 45 minutes outside of Munich to visit TKMaxx.  I spent the next hour in hunting shopping bliss.  Lucky for Husband, there was a conveniently located electronics store just on the other side of the parking lot.  Later on when he returned to TKMaxx he found me pushing one of their well known little plastic shopping carts, filled with a few wonderful items.
The Loot

After seeing some style inspirations on the blog All Things Katie Marie, I knew I needed wanted some skinny printed jeans.  Normally I'm a plain sweater, jeans and boots type of girl, but the Germans have clearly embraced the 80s, so why shouldn't I?  In the clearance section I found some coral, brown, and tan striped jeans.  Hearing my husband doubt these pants and making a sour face made me want to purchase them even more!  I tried the wild things on, they fit, I bought them.  I brought the pants home, tried out some different shirt/shoe scenarios and now Husband admits "they are not so bad."  So yay! I made my very first clothing purchase in Germany.  It only took me 9 months to gain the courage and desperation to figure out what my "European" size is!
Dare to be Daring

I haven't actually worn these pants out in public yet... but I'm hoping to get the guts to do so soon!

Happy Shopping Therapy,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.