Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July 4th in Europe


July 4th, America's Independence Day, has always been one of my favorite holidays.  My family has many special memories spending the day at the lake each year right in the heart of Central Texas.  There my grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and family get together  to swim, bar-b-que, shoot off fireworks, and... put out the occasional Hill County grass fire.  
NO fires this year, right guys?! 
We also have a great tradition of a Homemade Ice Cream Contest.  The competition is pretty fierce and the smack talking starts around Christmastime.  Anyone from Grandpa to second cousins can enter the contest. It doesn't matter if you use a 100 year old hand crank or a modern Cuisinart just as long the ice cream is made by you.  
Brothers 
There are usually around 10 different flavors to try.  Some flavors are traditional like vanilla, an all time favorite like peach, or a flavor as off the wall as rose petal ice cream.  
2011 Winning Flavor

Each year one winner is chosen.  The winner is passed on the vintage ice cream scoop trophy and their name is added underneath the base.  There is a ceremony to present the trophy to the winner that gives the Academy Awards a run for their money.  It's a BIG. DEAL.
Winners 2011!
Living in Germany and celebrating July 4th is going to be very different for Husband and I.  The day will be treated like any other day here; we both will go to work and not too many commuters will even give the American Independence Day a thought in their mind.  I, of course, will still dress for the occasion in the patriotic red, white, and blue.  

All this week my international school has been preparing for July 4th.  Just today I got to hear my British and German colleagues singing and yes, tearing up, over the Star Spangled Banner. How cool is that?!  It has been a really nice experience celebrating other cultures and holidays throughout the school year. Now it is my turn to teach others about my background.



Oh and family, we will be back someday and you better believe that trophy is coming home with me.

Happy Birthday America,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.