Monday, April 14, 2014

Easter Hoppenings




I can't believe it is almost Easter. Weren't we just sipping hot cocoa next to the fire admiring the glistening Christmas tree? In fact, my parka is still hanging by the front door just in case this beautiful spring weather is just a late April Fool's joke. 

Coffee and Cake Time!

Well whether or not I still have a box of Christmas ornaments lingering out of the storage space, it is time to prepare for Easter. This weekend Husband and I invited some friends over for coffee and cake. Originally, the idea did not have any Easter intentions and was just a good o' fashion excuse to socialize. However, if you know me, you know I like to plan with "themes". (Read about our Germanniversary Fiesta here)

Coconut Cupcakes

I do a lot of baking, nearly every weekend. It is a bit dangerous considering my lack of work out routines but I like to live life to the "fullest". Get it? Fullest! Anyways, my specialty has become Barefoot Contessa's Coconut Almond Cupcakes. About five years ago I received The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook as a Christmas present. To this day, it is my all-time favorite cookbook and I can tell you it often ends up on my nightstand. Does anyone else read cookbooks before bed? 

We had a wonderful time sharing travel stories, eating these Coconut Almond Cupcakes, and sipping Husband's fresh ground coffee. 

The Goodies

This year I decided to put together a "Grown-Up" Easter basket for Husband and myself. Since we will be taking a road trip over Easter, I decided to include snacks for our long drive. To go inside the Easter basket, I bought granola bars, crackers, dried sausage, cranberries, mint candies, and chocolate egg truffles. 

Instead of buying shredded plastic grass, I used green fabric that doesn't leave a mess.

Everything I used to assemble the basket I already had on hand. The material was leftover from another project, the basket cost a Euro, and the plastic rabbit and carrot eggs came from my Mother In Law last year. 

Simple

The entire cost of the Grown-Up Easter Basket was a little less than 10 Euros.

Happy Easter Everyone!

Husband and I always take snacks on our road trips to help save cost over the expensive, marked up items found in gas stations. Usually, I keep the items close by behind our seats in my brown Thermos cooler. I think this Easter Basket will be just as handy for grabbing a quick snack. 

Nonexistent Baby's First Elephant!

Check out my cute, new handmade elephant! It was crocheted by my friend's mom who lives in the Czech Republic. My friend posted a picture on her blog of a similar elephant and I knew I had to have one. Someday I will hopefully put it in a nursery but for now, it is sitting on our bed where I just stare at the cheerful colors. Isn't it adorable?

Happy Easter,

2 comments:

  1. Multi purpose project! An Easter Basket and Road Trip basket. Very creative.
    I love the elephant. So cheerful and creative. The crocheter ( is that a word?) has some skills!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW Maren, my mom would have been so chuffet if she saw your blog!!! I also love your road trip/Easter basket idea. Just one thing - hello kitty egg/bunny - WHAT??? ;-)You really are resourceful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.