Monday, April 7, 2014

Travel Memories: Heart Map Collage


They say when it rains, it pours. Lately, I have been crafting up a storm! Unlike the craft drought during the first three months of 2014, I think it is safe to say I am over my "burn out"This weekend I continued working on an ongoing project. 

On the weekends Husband and I are not traveling, you can usually find me at home crafting memories from our trips. Did you catch the blog about creating digital photo albums? Besides the digital photo albums and travel blog entries, I also started a heart collage made from our trip maps.

After trips, I tend to keep brochures, maps, and tickets. Overtime these "memories" start to collect because I always intend to do "something special" with it all. I'm sure you know where this is going... 

The heart map collage is my way of preserving our memories and avoiding the clutter. Here are the details:

Materials:
-20 cm x 20 cm canvas
-Acrylic paint
-Mod Podge
-Scissors
-Travel map

First, I paint the canvas so it has a chance to dry while I am working on the next step.

I use a combination of different blues and greens because turquoise and green apple are my favorite colors! Have you noticed? 

Then, I locate on the map the area Husband and I spent the most time. I center the area and roughly cut out a square the size of the canvas.

Next, I fold the square in half. Just like back in elementary school, I freehand cut half a heart starting and ending at the crease. Part of the charm of the Heart Map Collage is that ever heart is unique from the rest. 

Last, I brush a layer of Mod Podge on the back of the heart. I then center the heart on the dry canvas adding more Mod Podge along the edges as needed. Over the top, I brush another layer of Mod Podge to seal the paper to the canvas. 

I'm still mastering the art of using Mod Podge and always end up with air bubbles. I try to squeeze out as many air bubbles as possible using the brush and sometimes my fingers before the Mod Podge dries. Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the air bubbles?

L to R: Vienna, Verona, Brussels, Lucerne
Paris, Venice
I let the canvas dry (about 10 minutes) and then added it to our existing Heart Map Collage. Each canvas is hung up using a thumbtack and the old eyeball method. These hearts are from 2013 and 2014. SOMEDAY...I need to go back and add our vacations from 2011-2012. 

In two weeks Husband and I will be celebrating Easter in Rome. (Yes, we know we are insane.) We are also making stops in three other cities in Italy. Would you add a heart for each destination or one heart for the entire vacation? 

Make Memories Beautiful,






1 comment:

  1. This looks really cute and simple! I would love to do something similar for all the places that Stephen and I have been. I might just give this a go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.