Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Living Internationally: Grocery Shopping


I first heard the term "Foodie" used by my 2nd grade team members a few years back. A foodie is someone who loves food, but quality, well made food. Ever since then I have proudly self-claimed to being a "foodie".

Urban Dictionary says a Foodie is:
A person that spends a keen amount of attention and energy on knowing the ingredients of food, the proper preparation of food, and finds great enjoyment in top-notch ingredients and exemplary preparation. 

It is no secret that Husband and I both LOVE food. You know I've mentioned before Husband is a fantastic cook and I take on the role of Baking Queen in this house. We also live in Germany and I have been known to hoard certain American products that we cannot find easily in our neck of the woods. 

Curious as to what American products we can find in Germany? Please step inside our local grocery store!
We live outside of Munich and are lucky to have a brand new larger grocery store. Most stores inside the city are small urban versions of the bigger grocery stores. 
 
The right side of this aisle is dedicated to international foods. There are sections for Asian, Indian, Mexican, and American cooking needs. The left side of the aisle is full of starches. Notice the large orange Uncle Ben boxes? Some American brands can be found here in Germany. You can't see it, but I'm carrying Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice.  
The sign at the start of the aisle reads "International Feinkost". That translates to "International Delicacies". In Germany, Pop-Tarts and Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate are delicacies?!  
At the cost of 5 Euros and 99 cents per box, Pop Tarts must be a delicacy. Did you know that converts to $8.10 for Pop Tarts? Husband and I have never gotten homesick enough to spend that kind of money on a Pop Tarts when we have a fresh bakery full of pastries just around the corner! 
They also sell Campbell's Tomato Soup, an American iconic company. I have never purchased this Tomato Soup but have made my own from Barefoot Contessa's recipe. At Thanksgiving we also searched for Cream of Mushroom soup (for green bean casserole of course!) but only could find the Tomato soup so again, we made our own. Thank goodness for the "inconvenience" otherwise I might never had realized how easy it is to make Cream of Mushroom soup from scratch!

I find these items a little insulting. Is this really what Germans think Americans eat? I can't remember the last time I had spray cheese from a can?! And that is NOT Kraft Macaroni & Cheese! *Side note- Cheddar cheese is very difficult to find here in Munich. This grocery store usually carries only 2 or 3 blocks of Irish Cheddar. We know we are one of the few families in our town that purchases the cheddar!
Husband and I usually do our shopping together. We also sometimes shop at a more budget friendly store for basic items. Other times we stop in Saturday mornings at our local farmer's market. My favorite stand sells fresh squeezed apple juice out of a barrel during the fall!
Did you see the Hunt's BBQ sauce on the bottom row? Believe it or not, we can actually buy Stubbs at the home improvement store. At a premium of course! Somethings are just worth it....
While I am giving the grocery store a hard time about their American Section it is because of this that Husband and I have broadened our taste buds. We truly are spoiled with Alpine cheeses, Austrian wines, Italian Sausages, and locally grown produce. 

What of these American items would you purchase?

Also, I'm thinking of starting a "Living Internationally" series.
What are you curious to know more about when it comes to living abroad?

Is there anything you want to know about living in Germany?

Missing Kroger,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.