Monday, October 21, 2013

Crock Pot Applesauce


You can tell which weeks I have been reading a book because I don't blog. Husband says he is the reader in the family and I am the writer. I guess this must be true since I am unable to write a blog and read a book in the same week. Last week I was engrossed in yet another Nicholas Sparks' book, At First Sight.  His books suck me in every time and then I always fall for yet another tear jerker when I least expect it.  So please forgive me for the lack of October entries. 

Well anyways, Saturday morning after brunch, Husband and I went to our local farmer's market. (Brunch + Farmer's Market = Married Life) Our favorite stand is Apple Guy. Apples are the best in October so we bought a big o' bag of Elstars and 1.5 liters of pure apple cider for only 4€!  If Apple Guy is ever out of the apple cider it is a sad, sad day. 


With all the apples sitting on my kitchen counter, I decided to make Crock Pot Applesauce.  I made it last fall using a recipe off of Pinterest but this year I decided to throw caution to the wind, play it by ear, and go by the seat of my pants.  I experimented with my own recipe more like threw a bunch of random amounts of goodness into the crock pot. Seriously, you don't even have to follow my recipe this is too easy. I think you would have a hard time messing up Crock Pot Applesauce.


BUT if you must know...here is what I did!

Ingredients:
8-10 medium sized apples
1/3 cup orange juice or water
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon cinnamon


To start wash and slice 8 to 10 apples.  I used Elstar apples but any type will do.  The apples you choose depends on how sweet you want your applesauce.  I also recommend Red Delicious and Fuji apples.

Dump the apples into the Crock Pot.  Pour over the top 1/3 cup of orange juice or water, 1/4 cup light brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.


Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.  Stir the crock pot occasionally, although this is not necessary but just so you can get a whiff of the goodness.  

After 8 hours you can mash up the apple slices to your desired consistency.  I like my applesauce a bit on the chunky side.  Serve warm or cold.  Freeze or refrigerate in an air tight container.


I'm not even kidding, it is so easy to make this homemade applesauce.  I doubt I will ever buy premade applesauce again.  Plus, you will love how great the apple cinnamon makes your house smell!

Monday Greetings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.