Thursday, April 4, 2013

Try to Walk Away...and I Stumble


Super embarrassing moment today.  

For this story you need to get familiar with the setting in which it takes place:

Every Thursday I take 8 kids from my class to a gym a block away from our school.  We rent out a room for two hours and the kids work on stretching, cardio, and large motor skills with our school's coach.  The gym is in one of the finest neighborhoods in Munich and is extremely swanky.  When you first step inside there is an espresso/cappuccino/smoothie bar surrounded by a fireplace and white leather European sofas.  It is dark, relaxing, and very contemporary.  There isn't a water cooler but rather a water station with different carafes of cucumber, orange, and lemon water. The machines are high tech, there aren't television screens running along the top of the walls or awkward techno music blaring out of the speakers. In the back of the gym you can smell relaxing aromas, see rooms with massage tables, and in the oasis that is the bathroom, there is a hot steamy sauna.  This gym is over the top nice.  I couldn't even come close to affording a membership here if I wanted.

So today...the kids are all walking in a line towards our work out room.  I'm at the back of the line with the last child.  As we turn the corner from the entryway and into the main gym room, I look over my shoulder to the last kid and say "Come on, let's walk a bit faster".  Right as the word "faster" slips out of my mouth my foot runs into a machine.  My right leg is knocked up and my left leg is forced to jump up and over the machine causing me to stumble forward. My arms spring out in front of me and my whole body jolts as I trip all over the floor.  Immediately, 3 guys gathered around a computer screen to my left, are spurting out in German "Alles ok?", "Are you okay?", "Kann ich Ihnen helfen?", "Can I help you?" They looked very similar to the following picture:


It was a moment out of a Hollywood movie.  I'm. not. even. joking.  Time seemed to move in verrrrrrrry slow motion as I regained my step.  Flabbergasted, I just laughed it off, and replied "Alles gut, danke." ("Everything is good, thank you.") 

Who says you need to dress scandaless to get a guy's attention? Just fall on your face! (And yes, my husband laughed when I told him this story!!!)

In other news: 
Check out what we had for dinner tonight!
Remember the lyrics "I think I'm turning Japanese  I think I'm turning Japanese"?  Well, I'd like to change that to "I think I'm turning Japanese German." During the work week it is very common for Germans to eat a cold, fresh, finger food meal.  Usually, hot cooking is left to weekend meals. I'm starting to like this cultural norm after a long day in kindergarten. 

Tonight we ate:
-Pretzel cheese rolls
-Basil, mozzarella, and tomatoes
-Red bell peppers
-Salami
-Gouda cheese
-Avocado
-Black Forest Ice Cream (no joke, cherries and all!)

Everyone have a good Friday and watch your step out there! (Unless you're single, then may the best stumble be with you!)

3 comments:

  1. That dinner looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up girl. You're the perfect damsel in distress. I'm not surprised a few hotties stopped to offer their help. Your quite a beauty Maren. Own it! Love you cousin, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Embarrassing? Yes? A bad thing? I don't think so! Anything involving Germany gym hotties is a good thing in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.