Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fall Stovetop Scent


I talked about Williams-Sonoma earlier this week and it really got me thinking about the store. I miss it so much! My mom and I always spend at least a few minutes in Williams-Sonoma when we are out shopping. I love gazing at the pretty gourmet packages, gadgets I didn't know I needed (I still want a 16-piece apple slicer!), the knives made for a samurai, and oh THAT amazing smell.
 A shopper passes by the Williams-Sonoma store in Broomfield, Colorado November 19, 2009. REUTERS/Rick Wilking

Williams-Sonoma has such a distinctive smell. Sometimes, ok everytime, I walk past the store front, I stick out my neck giraffe-like and take in a big o' whiff.

Then I realized people have shared the secret to this glorious scent in an at-home version and I knew I had to give it a try! Only I didn't have fresh rosemary. Being November, I made a Fall stovetop scent inspired by the Great Williams-Sonoma.


Rummaging through my pantry, I found a few items that I thought might make a nice fall scent. I already had everything on hand! 

What I used:
 1/4 a cup of whole cloves
 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon
 2 Clementines (just mini oranges right?!)
 1 Lemon about to go out of style

Then of course, I had to stop in the middle of the process to practice some photography skills. Has anyone ever really looked a clove this close up before? I can't wait to buy some of these and put them all around an orange.  
This lemon was sitting at the bottom of my fruit ball with the skin growing tough. It was hours from turning shades of colors not sunny yellow. I didn't have any oranges on hand, so I substituted with two clementines. Usually, a clementine is peeled but it cut into slices just fine!
I put everything into a pot with 3 cups of water. I brought it all to a boil then reduced the heat to low. It simmered all day long and kept a nice scent revolving around the house. I added water as the level lowered.
At the end of the night, I poured the contents of the pot into an airtight container and placed it in the refrigerator. I have used it two more days without any problem. Husband said "It seems AMAZING!" 

Some candles burn only for an hour and I end up blowing them out. They become too strong and my head starts to ache. This stovetop scent was just subtle enough to make this house smell like fall without becoming too overpowering. Soon I hope to pick up some fresh rosemary and try a different combination! I also think cranberries would be a nice touch in a stovetop scent!

I know this is an old concept from decades ago but it seems a bit forgotten! 

Has anyone tried a stovetop scent? 

What is your favorite scent this season?


Happy Middle of the Week Day,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.