Thursday, April 10, 2014

Brotzeit is Bavarian


When Husband and I welcomed in 2014 I don't think either one of us had any "real" New Year's Resolutions. Mine are always the same year after year... work out, eat well, travel as much as possible, write a book. 

Here we are in April and this is what I can say about those four resolutions: sometimes I walk to the train stop (when Husband is working), Husband and I eat QUITE well (*wink, wink), we added a new country to our list in February, and my book....well I have a laptop ready when I decide to start.

To offset my habit of baking too often, Husband and I each week have a few "Bavarian" meals. When you think of Bavarian food, often people are talking about pretzels, sausages, schnitzel, and potatoes. Not here. In our house Husband and I have recreated the term "Bavarian". 

Here is an example of a typical conversation:
Maren: "What's for dinner tonight?"
Husband: "I don't know. Do you want to do Bavarian?"
Maren: "Yes, that sounds great. I don't feel like cooking."

This is what Bavarian looks like in our house: 
 When Husband and I have Bavarian for dinner it consists of fresh fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, and sausages. I'm not sure when we started using the term "Bavarian" to mean a meal like this, but it probably has something to do with the fact that we can't make a Chicken Express run.

To create a "Bavarian" meal all you need is a little of this and a little of that. The Germans call this style of meal "Brotzeit". Almost everything, with the exception of the sausage and cheese, is non-processed. 

I hope someday when Husband and I return to the States that we will continue our "Bavarian" meals. It feels so good to eat fresh foods! Do you enjoy meals with a little variety?

Happy Eating,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! I enjoy reading each and every one.